Code of Ethics
A school business official’s behavior must conform to an ethical code. The code must be idealistic and at the same time practical.
The school business official will:
- Make the well-being of students the fundamental value in all decisional making and actions.
- Fulfill professional responsibilities with honesty and integrity.
- Support the principle of due process and protects the civil and human rights of all individuals.
- Obey local, state and national laws and does not knowingly join or support organizations that advocate, directly or indirectly, the overthrow of the government.
- Implement the governing board of education’s policies and administrative rules and regulations.
- Pursue appropriate measures to correct those laws, policies and regulations that are not consistent with sound educational goals.
- Avoid using positions for personal gain through political, social, religious, economic or other influence.
- Accept academic degrees or professional certification only from duly accredited institutions.
- Maintain the standards and seek to improve the effectiveness of the profession through research and continuing professional development.
- Honor all contracts until fulfillment or release
(with permission adapted from Association of School Business Officials International Professional Standards, July 2001)